CHALLENGE YOURSELF! EMPOWER ATHLETES TO BECOME CHAMPIONS
Please Note: The information below is relevant to the Sport Conditioning certifications. For information on the Marathon Running Coach Certification go to this page.
Sport fitness is an exciting high demand specialty fitness market that has exploded in recent years as amateur athletes and weekend warriors seek to refine their training programs to match the demands of their chosen sport.
Athletic training requires specialized knowledge of both the demands of the sport and the techniques to enhance performance within the sport. Training strategies, nutritional guidance, endurance and specificity training, along with alternative training techniques are just a few of the core skills required to help athletes reach their personals goals and enhance the love of their chosen sport.
NAASFP specializes in sport fitness education for coaches. NAASFP will expand both your knowledge base and skill set and allow you to position yourself within the dynamic field of sport fitness. If you are ready to broaden your spectrum of training and enter the sport fitness industry then CHALLENGE YOURSELF!
NAASFP certifications are intensive, hands-on training programs that ensure the public that a NAASFP certified professional has demonstrated a full working comprehension of the challenged area.
The NAASFP Advanced Workshops Program offers specific topic workshops (and CEC’s) to established professionals as a means to keep them abreast of the latest information available in the field of sport fitness.
- NAASFP provides high quality training programs with affordable pricing that makes it easy for you to get a new career started or to create a niche market client pool.
- NAASFP programs emphasize safe, effective, and inspiring teaching methods that prepare you to be a confident and competent Coaching Professional.
- NASSFP certifications are comprehensive to ensure that our coaches have the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the Sport Fitness Industry.
- NASSFP courses are taught by Trainers who are successful fitness professionals in their own right.
- NAASFP certifications are internationally recognized.
- NAASFP membership and all study materials are included in the course registration fee.
HOW TO GET CERTIFIED
Obtaining a NAASFP professional certification requires time and hard work. In order for certifications to be respected, they must represent effort on your part.
Consider the following information to help you embark on completion of a certification program that fits your needs and career goals:
1. Decide which certification program fits your needs and goals.
Review the different NAASFP certification programs available. If you still have questions and need additional guidance NAASFP will be happy to assist you in determining the certification that will best fit your career growth goals.
2. Do you meet the certification program prerequisites?
Each NAASFP certification has prerequisites that are critical for the success of all students. The courses are intensive and designed with the expectation that the student has some basic knowledge and/or skill to bring to the program. For example, the Sport Conditioning Yoga Coach requires a thorough knowledge and practice of yoga.
3. Apply for your certification program.Once you find a scheduled class that you are able to attend, submit the NAASFP Registration form via email.
4. Acceptance into the certification program.
NAASFP will review your application, ensure there is a space in the class that you requested, and notify you via email whether you have been accepted into the program. Assuming that we do not require further information from you, the approval process will all be completed within 5 business days.
Once you have been accepted into the program, a seat will be reserved for you for the session date and location you requested. You will have 5 days to register for the course. Failure to register in this period will result in a loss of your reserved seat in the session. Sessions fill up quickly so there is no guarantee that a seat will be available after the seat reservation period has passed.
5. Attend Certification training and study.
NAASFP certifications are intensive multi-day workshops hosted by private organizations across North America. Our sessions are generally 12-hour days filled with both theoretical study and practical application. We have worked hard to provide a thorough teaching of the topics and to offer our students a hands-on opportunity to develop the necessary skills. Students must be committed to being engaged in the learning process in order to successfully challenge each component of the certification process.
Each certification has three components that must each be passed with a grade of 80% or better.
1. Practical Participation: NAASFP requires that all students actively participate in the learning process. As a coach, active engagement with clients is the key to success; consequently we look to our students to display an ability to thrive in group environments and to provide leadership where appropriate. Most certifications have a physical component that requires enthusiastic participation by all students, thereby demonstrating the ability of the student to coach the core skills necessary. Additionally, attendance and punctuality are included in this marking component.
Rather than earning points, in this component all students start with a score of 100%. Failure to participate appropriately will result in the loss of points.
The NAASFP Master Trainer will give this component’s mark to the student at the end of the session. A score of 80% or better is required for a pass.
Should a student fail this component of the program, the student should assess whether it is appropriate for him to embark on a coaching career. Should they wish there is an appeal process in place to apply for a reassessment of the mark. (Note: We are proud to say that to date we have never had a student fail to meet the NAASFP participation performance standard.)
2. Case Study: Each certification has a case study component. This is the student’s opportunity to demonstrate an ability to apply the knowledge necessary to successfully coach.
The case study must be submitted electronically within 14 days of the last day of the certification course. NAASFP will provide the case study mark on the Result Data Sheet sent to the student along with the written exam results. A score of 80% or better is required for a pass.
Should the candidate fail the case study component, but have a mark of at least 65%, the student may apply to submit a new case study. (The case study rewrite fee is $65.)
Should the student fail the case study with a score of less than 65%, it is apparent that the student has not grasped the key concepts necessary to coach successfully. Consequently, if the student would like to continue challenging the certification, attendance in a second certification registration is required. (The registration fee will be discounted by 40%.)
3. Written Exam: The exam is a comprehensive 100-question challenge of the theories taught during the program. The exam must be completed and submitted within 1 month of completing the course. A score of 80% or better is required for a pass.
Should the candidate fail the written exam component, but have a mark of at least 65%, the student may apply to write a second exam. (The exam rewrite fee is $65.)
Should the student fail the written exam with a score of less than 65%, it is apparent that the student has not grasped the key concepts necessary to coach successfully. Consequently, if the student would like to continue challenging the certification, attendance in a second certification registration is required. (The registration fee will be discounted by 40%.)
6. Stay a Certified Professional.
Once you have passed your certification exam, be sure to review the re-certification procedures to find out what the requirements are for continuing education credits (CEC’s).
Course registration may be canceled by contacting NAASFP.
If after registration a candidate finds that they will not be available for the particular dates for which they registered, there are two options available:
a. Full cancellation
b. Transfer to a new date/location
FULL CANCELLATION (More than 14 Days Prior to Course): Cancellations made over 2 weeks in advance of the certification start date are eligible for a refund, but will be subject to a $50 processing fee. The balance will be refunded through a cheque issued by the NAASFP office. Processing of refunds may take up to 3 weeks to process.
Less than 14 days Prior to Course: Cancellations made within 2 weeks of the certification course start date are not eligible for refund. See the Transfer to a new date/location option.
TRANSFER TO NEW DATE: By paying a $25 re-registration fee the registrant may request to have their seat transferred to another course date (subject to availability). The registrant will have up to one year from the original course date to attend another course.
To be eligible for transfer, NAASFP must be notified by email at email@example.com, PRIOR to the originally scheduled course date. NAASFP will process the re-registration fee and reserve an available seat in another course.
Please note that a course being hosted in a particular community is not necessarily a regularly scheduled contact community for NAASFP. It may be necessary for the participant to travel to another community in order to attend a course within the year time line permitted.
MAINTAIN YOUR NAASFP CERTIFICATION
Continuing Education Courses (CEC’s) help to encourage and promote a NAASFP certified professional to stay current and abreast of new research developments, practices, skills, and education in their professional field. The professionals who continue to develop and expand their range of knowledge and skills are those that are most capable of serving their clientele.
To assure the high degree of expertise that is associated with an NAASFP certification credential all NAASFP certified professionals are expected to participate in a variety of activities related to their continued educational growth. To maintain current certification with NAASFP, our members are required to complete 4 CEC’s during the 1 year time period in which their certification is valid.
CEC’s must be relevant to the certification for which it is to be applied. There must be a clear path of relevancy in the title and/or course description.
CEC’s can be obtained thru:
• Workshops, seminars and conferences
• Home-study or correspondence courses
• College or university courses
• Research articles written and published
• Courses developed
Activities That Do Not Qualify As Continuing Education: Activities such as leadership or committee responsibilities, attendance at meetings, membership in professional organizations, and special projects do not qualify for continuing education hours. Whereas these activities are worthwhile professional development activities, they do not qualify for credit toward re-certification.
APPROVED SOURCES FOR CEC’s
CEC’s may be obtained through NAASFP approved organizations offering continuing education for professionals in fitness, health and nutrition.
• Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA)
• Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA)
• American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
• American Council on Exercise (ACE)
• British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA)
• The Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
• Certified Professional Trainers Network (CPTN)
• Fitness New Brunswick (NBCFAL)
• Human Kinetics
• Manitoba Fitness Council (MFC)
• National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
• The New Brunswick Council for Fitness and Active Living (NBCFAL)
• North American Academy for Sport Fitness Professionals (NAASFP)
• Nova Scotia Fitness Association (NSFA)
• Ontario Fitness Council (OFC)
• Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association (SPRA)
CEC’s from other organizations may be eligible. Approval for a course as an eligible CEC may be obtained in advance of the course by submitting the CEC Approval Request Form. (available in the NAASFP Member section)
CERTIFICATION RENEWAL APPLICATION
The Certification Renewal Application is located online in the NAASFP Member section and is also provided in the NAASFP Certification packet received upon successful completion of your certification program.
Approximately 2-3 months prior to your certification expiration date, NAASFP will email a renewal notice to the address you used when you first became certified. (It is your responsibility to notify us of any address/email updates at your earliest convenience). Complete your certification renewal application that was enclosed with your certificate, include copies of your earned CEC’s within the 1 year period, a copy of your First Aid and CPR card, and a $40 recertification fee.
If you have more than one NAASFP certification they will each be assigned the expiry date of the first certification completed. This provides that only one certification renewal fee is required in each calendar and allows you to renew all certifications once a year in a fast and efficient manner.
CEC’s earned for one certification may be eligible for more than one certification.
Upon renewal, you will need to submit copies of the certificates of completion for each course, along with the certification documentation and renewal fee.
If you are uncertain about the CEC’s you have earn please call NAASFP to determine if they will count toward your certification renewal.